o a lot has happened since my last post. One of the events worth mentioning is the hospitalization of my 2-year-old daughter. She suffered from a few minor fever fits followed by a big one on Sunday evening. The big one left her breathless. I watched her turn grey. It was very frightening. Her fever had spiked within 20 minutes to 39.9 degrees Celsius (103.8 Fahrenheit).
We called an ambulance and I started to give her some air by performing CPR without compression as I knew during the fit her heart would continue. The emergency call operator said I could stop and she would continue breathing once the fit was over. And indeed this was the case. Once the ambulance arrived we were taken to hospital for a check-up. They could not find what had caused the fever, her clinical examination turned out ok. So we were sent home. The next day she endured another fit, but recovered quickly afterwards. Still high fever. That night she awoke in panic and clearly was having trouble catching her breath. I noticed she was again turning blueish around the mouth and again we called an ambulance. They diagnosed her with “pseudo Croup” a dry cough and advised us to keep her propped up and let her breathe in some steam. I sat up with her the remaining part of the night and noticed she was breathing by contracting her stomach muscles. She was working hard to breathe.
The next morning, I called the General Practitioner. They tested her saturation (oxygen level in blood) which was 89-91% and should be 95% or higher. The doctor called the ambulance and were taken to hospital. On a funny side note: my daughter was visibly exhausted but once she heard the sound of the ambulance she sat up straight and exclaimed “Ambulance!”. After that she laid down again.
Once at the hospital she was put on an oxygen mask. Her levels stabilized but she was still working hard to breathe. That night there was another crisis. She was panicked again for lack of oxygen despite the oxygen mask. The doctors were liaising with another more specialized hospital whether or not she ought to be transferred so that they could intubate her and put her on a breathing machine. My husband was with her at the hospital that night. He called me to inform me of the news. I was in all stated. As I had to babysit my eldest we agreed I would only go to hospital once the decision was final. I immediately started praying. Crying and praying. I was called back and they had decided to keep her at the current hospital and max out the oxygen to 100% and put the oxygen on pressure so that it would be blown into her nose. Thank God this helped to stabilize her again.
In the afternoon my mother and my eldest daughter came to visit. I asked my mum and daughter (4) to lay hands on my youngest and we prayed together. At that time her heart rate had been steady at around 125 (normal is 80-100 in rest). It had been over 200 during the crisis. I asked my mum to say the prayer, being the elder. She prayed with tears as my little one lay asleep with tubes and wires attached to her. When my mum finished the prayer and we said “Amen” the heart rate dropped to 99, signalling an alarm to beep just once as it immediately went back to 125 afterwards. Unbeknownst to me the nurses had put an alarm at the 100 mark so that they could respond immediately when her heart rate would decline either too fast or adjust oxygen levels once she reached a normal range. It was amazing. Just one beep. And it turned out to signal her steady recovery from then onwards. This was Wednesday afternoon. The doctor’s had already convinced us she would stay over Easter for sure. But God had other plans. Her recovery went so rapidly that on Friday she was taken off the oxygen, anti-virals and anti-biotics (of the latter she finished the 3 day course) and we were discharged on Saturday and Home for Easter Sunday, Hallelujah!
The prayer of a righteous man availeth much! James 5:16
Righteous through faith in Jesus and through His faithfulness to us.